Saturday 8 November 2014

Life changing events

Some close friends know that I am going through a divorce at the moment. It is all amicable and only a few harsh words have been said...
But amicable or not, it is still a rough time for me.
I am attempting to share my feelings on this matter, so that others (you the reader) can learn from my mistakes, and further grow as individuals.
I have given much thought to the last 10 years of my life and tried to access every decision, and there is only one conclusion. I sacrificed my happiness for the happiness of another.
The funny yet sad part is that this was done willingly, albeit unknowingly.
Every day you give a bit more of yourself, and you don't realize what you are giving up to do that.
I put her on the pedestal, and did all I could to keep her there.
None of this is her fault though, as I said, this was done willingly.

Even now (three months after the start of the end), it still seems surreal, and I am still "married" in my head. Something I am trying to change.
Doing this is harder than it seems, as I am trying to change, in a short timespan, a decade long habit.
A friend of mine said that for every year of your relationship, the average person requires six months of recovery... I really do hope I am not the average person, and I like to believe I am smarter than the average bear, so to speak.

Another interesting matter to consider is your mental state at the start of the relationship and at the end. The same wise friend added that once you are divorced / separated, your brain takes you back to the last state it was in before you got emotionally involved. That means I am 24ish. The trick is, in my opinion, is to allow this change but to trick your brain into accepting your true age.
I have not perfected this trick yet, and that is my excuse for doing childish and age inappropriate things... and I am vehemently sticking to that excuse.

This soulsearch only leaves me with a vague sense of accomplishment and the need to feel better about my life decisions. I am still confused about the present, but feeling better about the future a little bit more everyday.
Admittedly, one lesson learned early on in life is to not regret your decisions, for they made you who you are. In this way you can be uniquely you. I am trying to be uniquely me everyday. I am a snowflake.

That is all I have to share at the moment, but look out for my next blog in a couple of days. I will still cover coping, friends, dating and bad habits in this series.


No comments:

Post a Comment